– Personal Data Protection Bill, 2018 https://meity.gov.in/writereaddata/files/Personal_Data_Protection_Bill,2018.pdf
– Justice Srikrishna Committee Report (Data Protection Committee Report) https://meity.gov.in/writereaddata/files/Data_Protection_Committee_Report.pdf
– Key Points of the Report: Rohan Venkataramakrishnan, (Jul 28, 2018 · 06:30 am) Explainer: All you need to know about the Srikrishna panel’s draft data protection law, https://scroll.in/article/888298/explainer-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-srikrishna-panels-draft-data-protection-law
– Key points from Case Justice K.S. Puttaswamy (Retd.) v. Union of India: Nishith Desai Associates – http://www.nishithdesai.com/information/news-storage/news-details/article/supreme-court-holds-that-the-right-to-privacy-is-a-fundamental-right-guaranteed-under-the-constituti.html
– White Paper on Data Protection Framework for India – Consultation paper on the framework of data protection that should be followed in India. https://meity.gov.in/writereaddata/files/white_paper_on_data_protection_in_india_18122017_final_v2.1.pdf
- Relevant discussions include: What is Personal Data?; Cross-border flow of Data; Consent & Minor consent; personal sensitive data; participation rights; right to be forgotten; enforcement; regulation; and Data Protection Authority.
– Non-Personal Data Governance Framework – Report by Committee of Experts Chaired by Shri. Kris Gopalakrishnan. Read the report published by Meity at https://static.mygov.in/rest/s3fs-public/mygov_159453381955063671.pdf
Relevant discussions include: An explainer on the Non Personal Data Framework Report- https://www.thequint.com/explainers/non-personal-data-meity-report-raises-more-questions-than-answers
Note: This report is subject to change following the consultation period.
– Data Empowerment & Privacy Architecture Framework (DEPA) – A new data framework proposed by Niti Ayog to introduce new consent institutions along with other changes in the data sharing paradigm to empower citizens and promote innovation.
- Read the DEPA draft paper at- https://niti.gov.in/sites/default/files/2020-09/DEPA-Book_0.pdf
- An explainer on Data Empowerment Privacy Architecture policy- https://www.thequint.com/tech-and-auto/depa-data-empowerment-and-protection-architecture-niti-aayog-personal-data-sharing
– National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) – A draft policy to proposing to introduce a digital healthcare ecosystem by disrupting the existing healthcare industry in India with digitization. Read the draft policy here – https://ndhm.gov.in/health_management_policy
- Why the draft health data management policy raises privacy concerns- https://www.livemint.com/mint-lounge/features/why-the-draft-health-data-management-policy-raises-red-flags-about-privacy-11599060874405.html
Indian Case Law Evolution
– Tracing the roots of privacy through Indian constitution. An early look – This paper takes a look at how the right to privacy has evolved in the Indian jurisprudence through cases. http://www.ebc-india.com/lawyer/articles/2006_3_31.htm
– Privacy and The Indian Supreme Court: A list of all cases.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12cOJAkbpwOkxHoAHn4LdVmDSS7tL-Hqb/view
– EU Charter of Fundamental Rights Article 8 provides for the ‘Protection of Personal Data’
- ‘What is GDPR, the EU’s new data protection law?’ https://gdpr.eu/what-is-gdpr/. This article discusses the history, scope and principles of data protection embodied in the GDPR. Some interesting Articles include the ‘Right to be Forgotten‘ and ‘Privacy by Design‘
Recently a new data protection law was passed in Brazil along the lines of GDPR,
- This articles explains the bill, and how it compares with GDPR. Read at: https://gdpr.eu/gdpr-vs-lgpd/
- The Text of the Bill can be viewed at: https://iapp.org/media/pdf/resource_center/Brazilian_General_Data_Protection_Law.pdf